Monday

Snack Attack!


Discovered something about myself and got myself something new to worry about at the exact same time. It seems lately around 2:00 or so I start getting really sleepy. The kind of sleepy where your head nods forward and you jerk yourself awake. You know, like if you've been driving for hours on end and it's the middle of the night and you're out in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, if that's ever happened to you while driving, the adrenaline rush you get from realizing you almost passed out and wrecked is enough to keep you awake for quite a while. Not so while sitting at a computer staring at a monitor. I try and stand up once an hour to keep my circulation going, but that's not enough for the 2:00 doldrums. So, for the last week or so, I've been getting up and getting something to eat. Not that there's anything wrong with a snack in and of itself. It's a know fact that I have both an afternoon snack as well as an evening snack. The problem comes from how much of a snack this is. Not just a little nibble, because as soon as I'm done chewing I'm back to wanting to doze off so I just keep eating. Sad, I know. Here's where I worry. Now, I know I can stand to gain a few pounds. I've been thin all my life. And any other time this would be nothing to worry about. It's not like we'd be hearing someone sing that familiar childhood tune, "Here comes the bride - big, fat and wide!" But now I've taken the dress in and it fits just right, and if I undo the stitches, I'll have to redo all the flowers and the detailing. My only other alternative is to find another way to stay awake. I know that getting more sleep sounds like the obvious answer to my problem but it just isn't happening lately. Today I had a brainstorm and decided to chew a piece of gum instead of eating. It seems to have gotten me through the doldrums okay and I even blew a few bubbles. I'll just have my regular snack later.

No comments:

Post a Comment