Tuesday

"If you want it, here it is. Come and get it."


In times likes these, it seems everybody wants something for nothing. I'll admit to being one of those people. If someone's got something just sitting around their house they don't want anymore and I need it or could use it, I'd be happy to take it off their hands for them. Likewise, if I've got something to get rid of, I'd like it if someone could come pick it up and find a use for it. It also helps cut down on using the landfill, this re-using of things. When I was young nobody my age would ever admit to stepping into a Wal-Mart, let alone saying their clothes came from there. And Goodwill?! Never in a million years could you get that kind of confession out of a teenager. Times have certainly changed, and thankfully for the better in this case. Some kids even blog about wardrobe finds from thrift stores. If you just change your word usage from "second-hand" and "used" to "vintage" and "up-cycled" your whole perspective can change. Even things you swear nobody in their right mind would want, like that sickly green 1970's leisure suit your dad (okay, my dad) used to wear, there is actually someone out there who is willing to take it off your hands or even pay you good money for it. Don't believe me? Check this out. If you don't want to make the effort to start a new etsy store and sell all your old, I mean retro, clothing, try this instead. Freecycle is the place where you really can get something for nothing. I tried and know it works. All you have to do is sign up for a group near you and log on. Then browse to see what's being given away, or make your own posting. If you're looking for something, just ask. You never know what someone is willing to get rid of. Just follow their instructions and safety precautions. This could be a great way to find wedding decorations, or even a dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment