Wednesday

Savannah


Savannah, Georgia is a coastal town full of history and ghosts. Neither Jerry or I have ever been there. I didn't even see the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". I think it got bad reviews. I hope the actors' accents were true. One of my pet peeves is an actor that isn't from the south who tries to do a southern accent, even brags about having a diction coach, and then comes across sounding all wrong. It totally takes me out of a movie. Back to Savannah. There are a ton of B&B's there, which is something I discovered I liked on a trip Jerry and I took down to Monticello, Florida when we stayed at the John Denham House. Jerry and I are both interested in ghost stories, so we may even stay in a haunted inn. If we do research for Jerry's video, maybe we could even write the trip off. I know that Paula Deen lives there, and she's got a restaurant called The Lady and Sons. If you've ever spent any time watching the Food Network, you know it's all about southern cooking. What I didn't know is that it's also about very high prices. I never heard of chicken pot pie costing $18.99 before. Must be big enough to share. I used to watch her show all the time. I think butter flows through her veins. With fame she seems to have developed a heavier accent, as if she also hired one of those Hollywood diction coaches. She also smiles while holding her eyes wide open, giving her a slightly demented look. She's become a caricature of herself, hamming it up if you will, which is a shame. I doubt we'd run into her if we were there, anyway. Savannah has lots of tours to take, from walking tours to ghost tours. Jerry and I learned long ago while viewing the Ramses the Great exhibit in Dallas that group tours are not nearly as fun as going around by ourselves at our own pace and seeing just what we want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment