Saturday

Fashion forward...or backwards, depending on your viewpoint


I feel like Edith Head or Irene Lentz! When I was a kid I had dreams of being the next big movie costume designer like these ladies. I don't know where that came from. I didn't even know how to sew at that point. Guess it kind of stayed in the back of my head. I make the girls' Halloween costumes, which requests seem to get more elaborate every year. I like the challenge, though. Since I had some free time today I decided to work on my dress a bit. Hard to believe that thing is at least 60 years old. It's held up well with no rips or tears. First thing I did was take it in on the sides. It won't fall down now, but breathing may be a little difficult. I think it'll be okay as long as I don't gain weight, and since I've weighed the same since I was 12, I don't really have too much to worry about. After that I started adding flowers to the bustline. Cute, tiny little pink cherry blossoms. Made it all around the top, the bottom, the sides, and the center. By then it was obvious I didn't have enough to fill the entire area as I envisioned, so I started scattering them. I sewed until I ran out of flowers, each one placed by hand. It looks good how it is; I like it already. Ideally, though, I would like to fill in the entire top. But, if I can't find the exact same flowers next time I go to Michael's, it'll be okay how it is. Then I did little things, like tack down the tag in the back. Much better! Okay, when are the next auditions for "Project Runway"?

No comments:

Post a Comment